Are you planning a family photoshoot? Families are constantly growing and changing, and you want to capture this moment in time before it’s gone. Whether your goal is to get portraits of your spouse and children or a full family photo with grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins, it helps to coordinate clothing for best results.
Wondering what to wear to a family photoshoot? Here are some tips to help everyone choose the right outfit for aesthetically pleasing family portraits.
When Choosing Clothing for a Family Photoshoot:
- Plan your outfit in advance. Don’t wait until the last minute to choose clothing. That makes it difficult for everyone in your household to find outfits that work together. This is especially difficult if the photoshoot will include people from different households. There is too much chance that everyone’s clothing will not coordinate without planning ahead.
- Coordinate colors. Have everyone wear complimentary colors so that no one’s outfit clashes with anyone else’s. Subdued patterns with coordinating colors can break up the monotony of group photoshoots as long as they aren’t too bold. It can help to establish a color pallet that everyone can choose from.
- Dress for the season and weather. Plan outfits with the current season and weather in mind. If the photoshoot is going to be outside, be sure to dress according to the temperature. You don’t want to shiver or sweat through your photoshoot because your outfit doesn’t make sense for the current weather situation. Check the weather forecast the night before and the morning of your photoshoot and make any necessary adjustments.
- Choose something comfortable. While you want everyone to look nice for your family portraits, consider comfort as well. Children especially will be happier and more cooperative if their clothes are comfortable. Avoid stiff shoes, scratchy sweaters, and tight clothing.
- Bring a back up change of clothes. It is always a good idea to have a change of clothes in case of an accident. Children especially are prone to getting dirty or somehow spoiling their outfit before or during the photoshoot.
- Don’t wear identical colors. If everyone is wearing the same color your group photos end up looking like a sea of color with floating heads. Colors should complement each other, but vary in shade and pattern to provide some visual dynamics.
- Don’t wear outdated clothing. Unless you’re doing a comical photoshoot with clothing from a previous decade on purpose, it is best to avoid outdated styles and patterns.
- Don’t wear bold patterns. A family photoshoot is not the time to pull out your brightly colored Hawaiian shirt, unless that’s the theme. Avoid bold stripes, geometric patterns, and animal prints.
- Don’t wear clothes with words. For photoshoots it’s always best to avoid clothing with brand words or symbols on them.
- Don’t plan outfit changes during the photoshoot. Planned outfit changes may be possible for individual portraits, but are usually too complicated for family photos.
Now that you know what to wear to a family photoshoot, as well as what not to wear, you can focus on having a good time together and capturing memories that will last a lifetime.
Dani Weiss Provides Family Portraits
If you’re looking for a professional photographer who can provide you with quality family portraits, contact Dani Weiss Photography. Dani Weiss is an award winning photographer located in Atlanta, Georgia. With more than 30 years of experience, Dani’s photography skills include family portraits, weddings, bar mitzvahs, pet photography, engagement photos, corporate headshots, and more.
Contact Dani Weiss Photography today to schedule your photoshoot.